Saturday, October 10, 2015

Eddie in the Italian ICON Magazine

The ICON is on the stands and we can read the interview now. 
Source: Eddie Redmayne Italian Blog

EDDIE REDMAYNE : THE INSPIRATION THAT COMES FROM THE GREAT MASTERS OF ART.

'Inspired' is one of the most frequently mentioned words durind the conversation. He has extremely kind manner and not poses like a diva, Eddie Redmayne. In fact, he seems amazed of the attention that everyone has for him. The reason is easy to explain. Until a month ago we thought, that his skill given off in the interpretation of astrophysicist Stephen Hawking in 'The Theory of Everything'. The best actor Oscar confirmed the talent that can be felt watching him in the TV series from Ken Follett's novel 'The Pillars of the Earth'. The critics later applauded him as the revolutionary Marius Pontmercy in 'Les Miserables'. But with 'The Danish Girl' directed by the other Oscar winner Tom Hooper, presented in competition at the last Venice Film Festival, many have thought that the Academy should immadiately give him another... 


For that special gift that has to become more yourself, better if someone actually existed. In this case the painter 
Einar Wegener, Gerda’s husband, also an artist, whose marriage is overwhelmed by the choice of Einar to become 
the first transsexual in the world, Lili Elbe, at the beginning of the last century. Former student of Eton College finished in Cambridge for love of art history (but he also hung out at the fashion world, with two campaigns for Burberry), talk about art and style with Redmayne is easy. We do while we wait for the release of the film in the United States, 
on 27 November; then it’s the turn of the rest of the world. In Italy the release date is 4 February.
By Cristiana Allevi:


C.A.: PHYSICAL TRANSFORMATIONS ARE BECOMING A HALLMARK OF HIS CAREER. …

E.R.: The people physicality has always interested me, because it’s a huge part of who we are. The use of the hands, in particular, has always fascinated me, and the way each of us takes some posture.

C.A.: LET’S TALK ABOUT the NEW ROLE IN THE DANISH GIRL. PLAY lILI WAS MORE LIKELY TO STEP INTO THE SHOES OF ASTROPHYSICIST STEPHEN HAWKING?

E.R.: Play Stephen Hawking would have intimidated any actor. His story was one of the most encouraging and inspiring I’ve ever met. Had a rockstar character, but to play it I had to learn to move only certain muscle groups, immobilizing the rest of the body: a long and difficult process

C.A.: HOW DO YOU PREPARED INNER CHANGE, AS WELL AS, FOR THE DANISH GIRL.

E.R.: I studied biographies of trans, as Jan Morris’s Conundrum, and David Ebershoff’s book from which the film is based on, The danish Girl. I also personally met many trans, I was ignorant about when I started shooting the film. I didn’t know that gender and sexuality are not related, I didn’t know the difference, the concept of fluidity. The people I’ve met have changed me, and I’m glad.

C.A.: DO YOU HAVE NO SHAME TO PULL OUT HIS INNER WOMAN?

E.R.: it was very interesting to look around, as Lili. I of course am not a transgender, but a cisgender (gender where there is a correlation between the gender of the individual and the behavior or role considered appropriate for one’s sex iol). But the first time I showed up on the set I heard Lili dress looks. I was more than secure environment, but I read subtle nuances of what it must mean being watched and judged as people do not conform to their sex.

C.A.: YOU STATED THAT THE ASSISTENCE OF ALEX REYNOLD, the MOVEMENT DIRECTOR, IT WAS VERY VERY IMPORTANT.

E.R.: Alex worked with me also to the theory of everything, he helped liberate parts of me. The movement is not only a fact outside: it was necessary that I could achieve a space as possible, inside me to contact the story of Lili. The difficulty of the film was to discover the true myself of my character, not build him a new identity.


C.A. IN THE FILM RUN SECRETLY BY your WIFE TO GO TO THE GREAT ATELIER AND WEAR WOMEN’S DRESSES. IN NORMAL LIFE HOW DO YOU LIKE TO DRESS? WHAT COLORS YOU WEARS MORE?

ER i’M color blind, sometimes I dress too flashy colors, only later I understand they are very showy. But for most of the time I rely to blue, because I see it well (laughs)

C.A. I HEARD SAY THAT YOU ARE LIVING OUT OF A SUITCASE: CAN’T MISS, IN HER BAG?

ER. In my case there’s usually a lot of work! Screenplays, books, watercolors to make terrible paintings (laughs), what else? My car fotografica.

C.A. NOTHING DRESS?

E.R. DRESS ? Not so much … when I’m on the road for work, interview, Red Carpet, give them to me. When I got it, I put in my suitcase only t-shirts and jakets.

C.A. WHAT DO SAY YOU PERSON HAS STYLE?

E.R. The fact that we feel caught without that person to make any effort to get my attention. When things are built does not attract me. I would say that for me the elegance is a State of effortless.

C.a. YOU STUDIED ART HiSTORY IN CAMBRIDGE: THIS AFFECTS THE WAY YOU PRESENTE YOURSELF TO THE PUBLIC ?

Er When I have to play historical characters I spent several afternoons a Nationall Portrait Gallery in London, covers several periods. Although those walls there hung a painting without my character, find someone with the same historical moment that I need and I understand how it was played by an artist of the era. I find it interesting phenomenon.

C.A. DO YOU REMEMBER THE LAST TIME YOU WAS INSPIRED FROM A PAINTING IN THE NATIONAL GALLERY ?

ER When I worked on two Elizabethan movies, one was Elizabeth-The golden age, the other tv series with Helen Mirren who played Queen Elizabeth, Elizabeth i. I I played the Earl of Southampton. There is a painting which he had commissioned himself, explaining how that man loved the rich better than a thousand words. He had long hair, wore rings of various styles, was surrounded by carpets and precious objects.

C.A. YOU WENT TO ETON COLLEGE WITH PRINCE WILLIAM TOO. THAT PLACE HAS BEEN MARKED?

ER Eton College is a fabulous place ( I confirm). The oddity is that every day you have to wear a uniform, tailcoat with a collar (a particular type of frac, ED), this is a very uncomfortable. But when you’re there and everyone wears the same thing doesn’t it seem more unbearable. The real reason I went in that school are the great teacher who offers, just mention Simon Dormandy, a really sensational theater teacher . I was treated like a professional act. from day one; After meeting him I haven’t attended an acting school: he taught me all that I know.

C.A, THERE’S AN EXACT MOMENT WHEN YOU REALIZED THAT YOU WANTED TO BE AN ACTOR AS PROFESSION?

Er I always liked recite since I was a child, 12 years. But I never believed it would be possible to do it professionally, they had always said me that there are few actors who found a job, and it’s true: Statistics say that it is one of the professions that everyone wants to do. I mean, I never allowed myself to believe it can. But if I remember correctly before to go in College, things have changed: I started to feel some excitement at the idea of trying seriously.

C.a. ARE THERE COLLEAGUES WHO ADMIRES?

Er . Of my generation? I like Ben Whishaw, Andrew Garfield, and I find that Benedict Cumberbatch is awesome. Then there’s my friend, Tom Sturridge. Want to know who I like among women?.

C.A.PLEASE

.E.R I worked with Kristen Stewart and Chloe G Moretz, I was heavily inspired by their passion and freedom.

C.A. THERE ARE MORE HOLLYWOOD STARS LIKE ANGELINA JOLIE, CATE BLANCHETT, JULIANNE MOORE, THEIR HAVE WONDERFUL WORDS ABOUT YOU. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE REASON?

ER I have nothing more to say except that I have had the privilege to work with and meet so close and from point of view of people I was lucky since the beginning, and it’s important. When working on a film make a kind of circus life, your colleagues besomes your family.

C.A. STILL LIVES NEAR BANKS OF THE THAMES, WHEN YOU AREN’T WORKING?

Er. RIGHT.

C.a.WHICH ARE THE PLACES YOU MORE LOVE OF YOUR TOWN?

Er . In London I walk a lot, I like the South Shore (South Bank) down at the Design Museum. There’s a market, Borough Market, which sells delicious food. I also like the city center, this urban area full of offices: I love walking down those streets so old over the weekend, when they are empty by persons.

C.A. WHAT OTHER PLACES INSPIRE YOU?

Er. New York and the Neue Galerie, the Upper East Side. I have a weakness for abstract art in Germany, the Gallery is really my Kingdom. Spend a lot of time in Venice at the Guggenheim, and where else? When I travel I visit many exhibitions.

C.A. WHO WAS THE LAST?

E.R. Egon Schiele, in New York. It was a rather complicated man, these incredible sketches faceceva, created many dimensions with an economy of lines. Then at the Museum of modern art in San Francisco saw an exhibition on modernism really special, I can’t remember the title.

C.a. YOU SAID THAT LOS ANGELES IS THE OPPOSITE OF LONDON: WHAT MEAN ?

E.R.In London you have just to get to a subway for discovering new places, to miss while you’re looking for something. And in New york it’s the same thing. In Los Angeles instead before you have driving, then you have to know where to go! I felt overwhelmed when I went there the first time. 10 years ago: I didn’t understand the city. Now I have a certain feeling, I enjoy the place as really special. there is all , you can be at the beach and two hours after skiing, or in the desert. There are practically all.

C.A. YOU SAID ALSO YOU FOUND MANY FRIENDS, WHICH STATE IN A FEW … …

E.r. For me and others is the city of work, but often the British actors who go there for the first time, create a group why they feel lost. Again, it’s a family matter, alive with colleagues for a month or two, it’s only natural to help together . And in some cases it happens that become friends.

Source: Eddie Redmayne Italian Blog - Thank you Cris!
Posts in my tumblr blog
This is a quick translation, sorry for the mistakes.

NEW: Alicia Vikander and Eddie Redmayne in The Danish Girl (source: bespokeredmayne)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment can be published after moderation